Safety is Our Number One Priority.
At Boys & Girls Club, there is nothing more important than the safety of our members. We work every day to create a safe, fun environment, so kids can have every opportunity to be successful in life.
For the nearly half a million young people who enter the doors of a Boys & Girls Club each day, Clubs offer safe, inclusive spaces and experiences that empower members' learning and growth. Boys & Girls Clubs of Oklahoma County staff receives semi-annual safety training that are designed to protect young people from threats that are present in our society. BGCOKC has several levels of safety policies and guidelines to keep our members safe including:
- Mandatory criminal background checks on all staff, board members, and volunteers
- Mandatory reporting on any incident regardless of the severity to the appropriate authorities and Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- A board led Safety Committee that elevates safety to the highest level of governance
- Mandatory annual safety assessments
- Mandatory employee references
Boys & Girls Clubs of America also advocated for the passage of the U.S. PROTECT Act, which improved background screening systems and access. We have also partnered with the FBI, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and the Centers for Disease Control to contribute to the development of safety practices that benefit ALL youth-serving organizations.
To learn more about our national safety policies and actions, please visit Boys & Girls Clubs of America's Child Safety page here.